Pages

Wednesday 2 May 2018

Maori Music for a Modern Audience

Aotearoa

"Aotearoa" is a POP song by New Zealand recording artist Stan Walker featuring Ria Hall, Troy Kingi and Maisey Rika.

To celebrate Māori Language Week, Walker decided to release his first song completely in Māori, alongside other Kiwi artists

Inspired by the 1984 song "Poi E" by the Patea Māori Club.

The music is so catchy to my ears. Since I heard it it's really hard to put it aside for a moment or not sing it in your mind. Though at first, I have no idea what the song is about, all I know is Aotearoa which is New Zealand.

The music video is so fun and very informative, it shows the maori culture in which generally shows how Maori act and move together, the bond between them. When you don't know anything about New Zealand or Aotearoa by seeing this video you can learn a lot of things including how the country looks like and how beautiful it is. It also shows the products like wools, you can see the canoe they use for voyage, and the art.


No matter if you're near or far
We come from the land of God
No matter where you belong
We'll fight for your freedom

These 4 lines are often said in the song. It is about between Aotearoa and the people in it, that they are one, they believe in God, and protecting their land.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.