Pages

Friday 9 March 2018

Harriet Tubman

Harriet Tubman















Spirituals
Generally Christian songs that were created by African Americans Spirituals were originally an oral tradition that imparted Christian values while also describing the hardships of slavery. Although spirituals were originally unaccompanied monophonic (unison) songs, they are best known today in harmonised choral arrangements. This historic group of uniquely American songs is now recognised as a distinct genre of music. 

African American spirituals were primarily expressions of religious faith. Some may also have served as socio-political protests veiled as assimilation to white American culture. They believe that through spirituals, God lead and guide them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.