Pages

Monday 18 December 2017

Day 1 -Summer Learning Journey

Activity 1: The First Settlers

Maori Mythology

Maui and the Giant Fish 

Here are some three facts about Maui from the Maori Myth


  1. Maui is known in the people of Hawaiki as the best fisherman.
  2. Based on the myth, Maui's giant fish is now known as the North Island of Aotearoa (New Zealand) while his canoe became the South Island.
  3. Maui is a brave and young man. 


I also heard Maui in Moana (a Disney Movie). Maui is a demigod who has a magical hook that can make him transform into different animals, he has many tattoos on his body that resembles all things he have done for the people. In the island of Moana, they caught no more fishes and their coconuts were destroyed, she got an idea of going beyond the shore but his father forbids her. Before her grandmother died, she discovered that they were voyagers, she went beyond the ocean and met Maui, helped each other finding Maui's hook and giving back the heart of Te Fiti to stop the drought.

Activity 2: Setting Sail

If were to ride 'waka' from Philippines to New Zealand, I think I could enjoy the long trip as I'm looking at a beautiful scenery or view of the wide ocean and a bright sky above. As long as I have someone with who knows how to sail waka and a close friend of mine (like Hacel) while watching BTS episodes or streaming live concerts or watching Kdramas with her. I could also enjoy it with lots of foods and snacks, then for a short time, I would also like to dive in to see the underwater and swim (I wish there's now jellyfish or sharks, im afraid of them) and ofcourse, take a lot of pictures, bring my camera with me for memories.

I don't think I can compete Waka Ama race, I easily get tired and don't really have strong arms. If i can ride waka, I will just enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lovely,

    You have found three interesting facts about Maui. Ka Pai! I really enjoyed the film, Moana. I think my favourite song was 'We Know The Way'. What was your favourite song? I had also heard the story of how Maui slowed the sun to make the days longer. Have you heard that one?

    I can see that you've thought long and hard about what it would be like to be on one of the first waka. For the activity, you need to write a letter to someone pretending that you're on the waka. In order to get full points for the activity, can you edit your post and write it as a letter?

    I am also not very strong; I think that's why the people who compete in Waka Ama races have to train so hard. I think that it would be tough, but I would like to compete one day. How do you think you could train to become stronger?

    Hazel :)

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.