Pages

Friday 23 November 2018

Figurative Languages


Figurative languages, commonly used in novels, poems, and songs, are very useful to help you describe something and easier to understand. This device can improve our writing.

During my middle school years, I've already learned these language features. But this time, it's something different. Our English teacher carefully taught us each of the devices. So far, we have learnt Simile, Metaphor, Alliteration, and Onomatopoeia.

Simile - it is used to compare two things using the words 'like' and 'as'.
e.g. Your eyes are like the stars, shining beautifully.
        Yohan is as cool as a celebrity.

Metaphor - almost similar to Simile but, this language feature does not use 'like' and 'as'. This also compares one to another.
e.g. Dogs are superheroes, they make people smile and forget sadness.

Alliteration - a sentence made with the same first letter of the words the same. Rhymes and Alliteration are different, as rhymes have the same sounds at the end of the word.
e.g. Ricky ran in the race for a ring and rice.

Onomatopoeia - the sounds/sound effects you hear. When these onomatopeia words are pronounced, they are the same with the sound you actually heard.
e.g. Bells ring, tomatoes splat, heels tap, phones beep, etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.